Sen. Dick Durbin On Torture. What Else Is He Supposed To Say?


June 16, 2015
Mr. William Rosen
Lombard, IL 60148-1176
Dear Mr. Rosen:

         Thank you for contacting me regarding torture and the Central Intelligence Agency's guidelines for human experimentation.  I appreciate hearing from you.
         Following the release of a previously classified agency document, news reports have raised questions about the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation techniques in light of the agency's guidelines regarding research on human subjects. 
         I have been highly critical of the CIA's detention and interrogation program and have repeatedly questioned its legality. In 2004, I authored the first legislation to make clear that the cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment of detainees is illegal under United States law in all circumstances.  My legislation responded to the then-Administration's position that it was legal to use abusive interrogation techniques on detainees.
         Thank you again for contacting me.  I will keep your concerns in mind as this issue is considered by Congress.  Please feel free to keep in touch.  

      Sincerely,

      Richard J. Durbin
      United States Senator

RJD/dg

Comments

Popular Posts