Friday, March 29, 2013

Jon Stewart Mocks the Ridiculous Questions Asked by the Supreme Court's Conservatives: VIDEO

Jon Stewart took apart this week's Supreme Court arguments and has a few words for Alito and Scalia, like perhaps they should get cable to check out some of the fine parenting being done by heterosexuals in our nation.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/03/stewartscotus.html#ixzz2OxVowVTq

Spring Cleaning

I have been quietly freaking out about the close of google reader. I have something like 600 subscriptions and I'm frantically trying to figure out which reader I can use as a replacement. Within that process, I have been downloading my entire google account data through google takeout, which has been taking a long time and a lot of data. I've been pretty astounded at the amount of data I have online:
Created on:Mar 29, 2013 1:59:16 PMbuilding
+1s
Files:
1
Size:
6.8KB
Blogger
Files:
2
Size:
3.6MB
Buzz
Files:
0
Size:
0B
Contacts
Files:
6
Size:
357.7KB
Drive
Files:
0
Size:
0B
Google+ Circles
Files:
4
Size:
62.8KB
Google+ Stream
Files:
143
Size:
653.4KB
Latitude
Files:
1
Size:
9.2MB
Pages
Files:
0
Size:
0B
Picasa Web Albums
Files:
3899
Size:
1.4GB
Profile
Files:
1
Size:
3.3KB
Reader
Files:
8
Size:
2.2MB
Voice
Files:
7
Size:
18.2KB
YouTube
Files:
317
Size:
23.8GB

State Of Missouri Set To Murder Innocent Man


More Evidence of Misconduct In Reggie Clemons Case

Reggie Clemons
New evidence has emerged reinforcing the contention that Reggie Clemons’ trial was marred by misconduct; a judge’s recommendations are expected by June 1 (Photo Credit: Color of Justice).
On March 18, the final oral arguments in the “Special Master” investigation of Reggie Clemons‘ case were held in Independence, Missouri. Reggie Clemons was sentenced to death in 1993 after a disturbingly flawed investigation and trial.
At the Clemons hearing before Special Master Judge Michael Manners last September, evidence of police brutality and prosecutorial misconduct in his case was presented, and this month that evidence was reinforced by new testimony of a bail investigator named Warren Weeks.
In a video-taped deposition, Weeks said that he saw evidence that Clemons had been brutalized – a golf-ball sized bump on his head – and that he submitted a written report of this observation. Weeks testified that prosecutor Nels Moss attempted to intimidate him about the report. The report obtained by Clemons’ current attorneys and presented to Judge Manners had the word “bump” or “bruise” scratched out.
Judge Manners himself, during the four-hour hearing this month, is reported to have said:
“There was shoddy police work almost beyond comprehension … when I said shoddy I meant they took a path of least resistance, closing an investigation early as it was the easiest thing to do.”
Does this mean Reggie Clemons will get a new trial, or at least have his death sentence quashed? Maybe.Judge Manners announced on the 18th that his final recommendations would be completed by June 1, so we will know in a month or two.
In the meantime, we need to keep taking action for Reggie Clemons, and keep spreading the word about his case. The fundamentally flawed nature of cases like this – and there are many cases like this – is one very obvious and compelling reason why the death penalty must be abolished.

United States and North Korea Saber Rattling Contest - Update

updated April 3

Pyongyang, April 3 (KCNA) -- The 23rd Chemical Battalion of the U.S. Army based in Seattle City, Washington State was recently redeployed in the U.S. Second Division in south Korea.
It was reported that an official ceremony in this regard will taken place in Uijongbu, Kyonggi Province on April 4.
The battalion was stationed in the U.S. military base in Chilgok, North Kyongsang Province as it belonged to the 19th battle area support command of the U.S. imperialist aggressor forces till 2004. It was withdrawn to the U.S. mainland. This battalion mercilessly killed many people in the Korean war and other wars.
The Secretariat of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPRK) in its information bulletin No. 1028 on Wednesday said that the redeployment of the battalion in south Korea is a revelation of the heinous criminal attempt to inflict nuclear disasters and holocaust of a bio-chemical war on the Korean nation, another unpardonable provocation to the DPRK. The information bulletin went on:
During the Korean war, the U.S. indiscriminately used germ and chemical weapons against the Korean people, stunning the world.
The U.S. now seeks to make such crimes against humanity repeat.
The redeployment of the battalion amounts to an open declaration that it would commit such war crimes again.
The U.S. and south Korean puppet forces are claiming that the redeployment of the battalion is "a defensive one chiefly aimed to keep stability on the Korean Peninsula" and bolster "deterrent of south Korea-U.S. alliance" in a bid to evade accusations at home and abroad.
But it is sophism to conceal their heinous crime.
The redeployment of the battalion and attempt to ignite a chemical war go to clearly prove that even though the U.S. vociferates about "prohibition of use of WMDs and prevention of its expansion", it is the U.S. which is wantonly violating them.
What is intolerable is that the south Korean puppet group of traitors is becoming a dangerous accomplice of the U.S. moves for a chemical war.
The puppet group is working with bloodshot eyes to inflict even disasters of bio-chemical war on the nation, not content with imposing nuclear disasters by toeing foreign forces in their war moves. It is the group of murderers who cannot live under the same sky, to say nothing of fellow countrymen.
The army and people of the DPRK will never remain a passive onlooker at the reckless moves of the U.S. and south Korean puppet group to ignite a chemical war but wipe them out as it had already declared whether they come in attack with nuclear weapons or with bio-chemical weapons.
The U.S. and the puppet group had better stop acting rashly, clearly understanding the will of the army and people of the DPRK to annihilate the enemies in an all-out action. 





B-2 bombers from Missouri send message to North Korea

By MIKE MCGRAW
The Kansas City Star
Two Missouri-based B-2 stealth bombers have carried a clear message from the U.S. to North Korean leaders.
Following weeks of North Korean bluster, the U.S. on Thursday took the unprecedented step of announcing that the nuclear-capable bombers joined joint military drills with South Korea, dropping dummy practice bombs on an island range.
The bombers made the 13,000-mile nonstop round trip from Whiteman Air Force Base near Knob Noster.
In a statement issued Thursday morning from Seoul, the 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman and the U.S. Strategic Command said the mission demonstrates America’s ability to conduct precision strikes “quickly and at will.”
The North Koreans reacted late Thursday. The government-controlled Korean Central News Agency website said the B-2 mission “from Whiteman air force base in Missouri State ... proves the brigandish ambition of the U.S. imperialists for aggression.”
It said the B-2 flights were an ultimatum that the U.S. “will ignite a nuclear war at any cost on the Korean Peninsula.”
But a U.S. international security expert said the B-2 mission was a reminder to the North Koreans “that there are things we can do that they have no defense against.”
Owen Coté Jr., associate director of the security studies program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said the show-of-force B-2 mission sends the message that the U.S. alliance with South Korea “remains solid in both directions.”
The $2.2 billion B-2, with its 40,000-pound capacity of nuclear or conventional bombs, is an especially effective weapon in North Korea, Coté said, because the B-2 is “absolutely immune” to North Korea’s Vietnam-era radar defense system.
“North Korean radar is ubiquitous ... but it is not mobile,” he said. “The B-2 knows where the radars are and it flies a path between them.”
Twenty of the bombers are based at Whiteman, the only operational base for them since the Air Force first based them there in 1993, partly at the request of then Missouri congressman Ike Skelton.
Many aspects of the stealth bombers, which carry a crew of two, remain classified. But the planes use composite materials, special coatings and a flying-wing design to evade radar detection.
They have been used effectively in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.
Based on one estimated cost of about $10,000 per flight hour, the mission to South Korea probably cost taxpayers at least $260,000.
“The B-2 is a door opener,” John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org told The Star last year. “It has the unique ability to fly unescorted into hostile airspace and blow up a lot of stuff — without us first having to take out the other guy's air defenses.”
Coté agrees.
“The North Koreans, for whatever bizarre internal reasons, are deciding they have to whip up this crisis,” Coté said.
The B-2 mission, he added, is a reminder that they have “no means of defense. This is the Americans and South Koreans saying they have a straightforward deterrent.”
Coté said the B-2s can haul plenty of heavy ordnance.
“The thing about the B-2, besides its stealth,” he said, “is that it can unleash by far the most powerful conventional weapons.”
The bombers can carry high-impact bunker buster bombs that would convince most any leader, Coté said, that he can’t “dig holes, cover them with concrete and feel as though he is protected.”
The flights are likely to further enrage Pyongyang, which has already issued a flood of ominous statements to highlight displeasure over the drills and U.N. sanctions after its nuclear test last month.
North Korea sees the military drills as part of a U.S. plot to invade and becomes particularly upset about U.S. nuclear activities in the region. Washington and Seoul say the drills are routine and defensive.
North Korea has already threatened nuclear strikes on Washington and Seoul in recent weeks. It said Wednesday that there was no need for communication in a situation “where a war may break out at any moment.” Earlier this month, it announced that it considers void the armistice that ended the Korean War in 1953.
Analysts see a full-blown North Korean attack as extremely unlikely, though there are fears of a more localized conflict, such as a naval skirmish in disputed Yellow Sea waters. Such naval clashes have happened three times since 1999.
North Korea's latest threats are seen as efforts to provoke the new government in Seoul, led by President Park Geun-hye, to change its policies toward Pyongyang. North Korea's moves at home to order troops into “combat readiness” also are seen as ways to build domestic unity as young leader Kim Jong Un, who took power after his father's death in December 2011, strengthens his military credentials.
Although North Korea has vowed nuclear strikes on the U.S., analysts outside the country have seen no proof that North Korean scientists have yet mastered the technology needed to build a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a missile.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

To reach Mike McGraw, call 816-234-4423 or send email to mmcgraw@kcstar.com.