Soon after thousands of caring people wrote letters on Sami al-Hajj's behalf during last year's Global Write-a-Thon, he was released from Guantanamo Bay prison.

Below is a message from Sami to you.


Dear Friends,

I was detained for more than six years by the U.S. government, primarily in the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. In late 2001, I was a journalist with the news agency al-Jazeera, assigned to cover the war in Afghanistan. While on that assignment, I was detained at the border of Pakistan-Afghanistan, and transferred to U.S. custody. I found that I had entered into a nightmare that would claim six years of my life and place great hardship on my family.

Fortunately, Amnesty International and other organizations called attention to my case and campaigned on my behalf. In December last year, my case was featured in Amnesty’s Global Write-a-thon. A few months later, I was released from Guantanamo in May 2008 without any charges.

I received more than 20,000 letters from members and supporters of Amnesty International. I received letters from all over the world. These letters really encouraged me during my very difficult time. They made me feel as though I was not alone and not to give up. Some people sent me songs, others poetry. I felt as though people had not forgotten me through these letters and I felt something change in my life for the better from these letters.

Also, I could notice that the administration of Guantanamo Bay began treating me better, as they knew I had people who cared about me. The guards said to me that they could see I was someone who mattered and must be important because of all the letters – this made them respect me more.

These letters led me to think about human rights: Why would all of these people write to me, a stranger, and want to help and encourage me? Why would these people who are from a different country, religion, race – everything – want to work on my behalf, wish good things for me and ask that I be released?

This made me decide to work for human rights and to help people upon my release. I hope, God willing, to continue this work for all of my life.

I ask you to join Amnesty’s Global Write-a-thon and help make a difference in the lives of people who are facing great adversity. Prisoners of conscience and human rights defenders risk their own freedom to fight for the rights of all. They deserve our support. Please join this year's Global Write-a-thon.

Your actions can make a difference. Believe me, I know. Thank you again to Amnesty International and to all of those who wrote and encouraged me during my hard time.

Sincerely,

Sami al Hajj
2007 Write-a-thon case
Former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Comments

Popular Posts