Squirm, Gibbs, Squirm

I read this last night and thought the same thing. Thank you to Evan Hurst of TWO for pointing this outRobert Gibbs really?

Q Robert, I want to follow up on the issue of marriage and the President’s 1996 statement. I’ll read it again: “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” Why has the President abandoned this position?

MR. GIBBS: I can simply -- I was not with the President in 1996. I was younger and thinner back then -- same shoe size. I would simply say that I think that throughout the campaign of 2004 and the campaign of 2008, he’s made his position clear on that.

Q Was there a political motivation for the President to drop support for same-sex marriage as he pursued to higher office?

MR. GIBBS: Again, I’d refer you to my previous answer.

Yes, ma’am.

Q One follow-up question.

MR. GIBBS: That's two actually, but go ahead. I’ll entertain the second.

Q Will the President reclaim his support for same-sex marriage before the 2012 election?

MR. GIBBS: I’m not in the business of predicting. I think you’ve seen this President be clearly committed to issues of equality and justice. That's why in -- I can’t speak to 2012. I can speak to 2011 as the year in which a policy like “don't ask, don't tell” will end.

Yes, ma’am.

Comments

Popular Posts