He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

from todays White House Briefing.

...

Q Can you give us a status update on same-sex marriage, where the President is on that evolving process? And what is he doing to assist that evolution? Does he meet with people? Does he read books? What is he doing?

MR. CARNEY: Dan, I appreciate the question. I don’t have an update for you on that. I think it is important in this, as part of my answer here, to just remind you about the President’s record on these issues -- ending “don’t ask, don’t tell,” and on marriage in particular having the federal government stand down from -- or his administration stand down from defending DOMA, believing that it’s unconstitutional and working to have it repealed. The President’s personal views I will leave for him to describe. But this administration, his administration’s record on these issues that are very important I think are pretty clear.

Q So no movement at this time?

MR. CARNEY: Again, I will leave it to him to describe. It’s the same answer I have given in the past to Chris, for example, who has his hand raised. (Laughter.) And I think you’ve deprived him of the opportunity to ask it today.

Q Actually, I have a follow-up question to that. Can I jump in?

MR. CARNEY: Sure. Chris, how are you?

Q I’m doing good. How are you?

MR. CARNEY: Very well.

Q A number of state legislatures in the coming weeks, including those in Washington State, New Jersey and Maryland are going to try to push for same-sex marriage legislation in the coming weeks. I know you said you don’t want to talk specifics about the State of The Union address. I’m just wondering if you could rule out the possibility of the President completing his evolution and endorsing marriage equality next week.

MR. CARNEY: Again, I will not rule anything in or out. I’m just not going to talk about, beyond pointing at his words, his personal views on this. I think his administration’s policies on related issues are there for people to judge.

Comments

Popular Posts