Elizabeth Warren Responds To My Letter

Dear William,

Thank you for writing me about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act ("ENDA").

As you know, ENDA would prohibit discrimination in the workplace on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.  Current federal law prohibits employment discrimination based on race, religion, sex, national origin, age and disability - but not sexual orientation or gender identity.  Moreover, state-level protections are not universal. It is astounding that, in 29 states, it is perfectly legal to fire or refuse to hire someone simply because of his or her sexual orientation, and in 38 states it is legal to do so based on gender identity.

I am a proud cosponsor of ENDA, and I am pleased that the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee voted earlier this year to move ENDA out of that Committee with bipartisan support.  The HELP Committee's bipartisan approval of ENDA is a landmark step toward making sure that no one is fired or discriminated against because of who they are or who they love.  As Senator from Massachusetts, I am particularly proud of this milestone because Senator Edward M. Kennedy first introduced ENDA in 1994 and for years was a champion fighting for equal rights in the workplace. 

I appreciate your thoughts on this important bill, and I hope you reach out again in the future if my office can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Warren

Comments

Popular Posts