Krishnamorthi responds to my letter RE gun violence

RAJA KRISHNAMOORTHI 8TH DISTRICT, ILLINOIS 115 Cannon House Office Building Washington, DC 20515 Telephone: (202) 225-3711 Fax: (202) 225-7830 1701 East Woodfield Rd, Suite 704 Schaumburg, IL 60173 Telephone: (847) 413 1959 Fax: (847) 413-1965 www.krishnamoorthi.house.gov Congress of the United States // House of Representatives // Washington, DC 20515 COMMITTEE ON OVERSIGHT & REFORM Subcommittees Economic & Consumer Policy Chairman Environment HOUSE PERMANENT SELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE Subcommittees: Strategic Technologies & Advanced Research Intelligence Modernization & Readiness March 25, 2019 Mr. William Rosen ---------------- ---------------- Dear Mr. Rosen: Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns regarding gun violence. I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts on this issue, and I would like you to know I share your support for common-sense gun laws to protect innocent lives throughout the nation. In Illinois and across the nation, each day brings a new tragedy-a mass shooting in a house of worship, a toddler playing with an unsecured gun, students facing danger when attending classes, or a domestic violence situation turning deadly. We desperately need common-sense laws that will reduce the epidemic of mass shootings across the United States. I am a proud cosponsor of legislation that would close the so-called "gun-show loophole" by extending background checks for purchases made at gun shows, reinstate the expired federal ban on assault weapons, and improve the reporting system to help keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, convicted felons, and those with severe mental illnesses. Congress must also reverse the ban on federal funding for gun violence research, so we can learn how best to combat this national tragedy. In addition, I have introduced the COOL OFF Act, or the Choosing Our Own Lives Over Fast Firearms Act, that would require a 3-business day waiting period between the purchase of any handgun and a buyer's receipt of a handgun. A "cooling off" period is proven to significantly reduce domestic violence and suicide by delaying a gun purchase until a temporary and impulsive feeling to do harm has passed. Far too many people are dying from an epidemic of gun violence, and we must do more protect the public from guns in the hands of those who seek to do harm. I will keep your thoughts in mind should similar legislation be brought to the House floor for a vote. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I hope you will continue to keep me informed regarding issues that concern you. I encourage you to visit my website at krishnamoorthi.house.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to receive periodic updates on my activities as your representative in Washington, D.C. Sincerely, (signed) Raja Krishnamoorthi Member of Congress RK/GC

Comments

Popular Posts