Senator Tammy Duckworth Responds To My Letter RE: For The People Act

 Dear William,


Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1, For the People Act of 2021. As a strong supporter of this important pro-democracy legislation, I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this important matter.

Representative John Sarbanes of Maryland introduced the For The People Act to improve our country’s campaign finance and government ethics laws, while restoring voting rights to disenfranchised Americans. For example, this bill would strengthen Federal prohibitions against foreign contributions in American elections, require that every President of the United States disclose tax returns and prohibit politicians from using taxpayer dollars to settle harassment claims. I am proud that the For the People Act includes provisions from my legislation, the Pre-Registration of Voters Everywhere (PROVE) Act. My PROVE Act would allow 16- and 17-year-old Americans to pre-register to vote in Federal elections. 

As your Senator, one of my top priorities is protecting voting rights, strengthening government ethics and removing dark money from the political process. That is why I was proud to help Senators Jeff Merkley of Oregon and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota introduce the Senate version of the For the People Act as an original cosponsor. With the U.S. House of Representatives passing the House version of this legislation on March 3, 2021, it is now pending in the Senate for consideration. Please know that I strongly support this good government legislation and will continue working to pass the For the People Act in the Senate. 

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. If you would like more information on my work in the Senate, please visit my website at www.duckworth.senate.gov. You can access my voting record and see what I am doing to address today’s most important issues. I hope that you will continue to share your views and opinions with me and let me know whenever I may be of assistance to you.


Sincerely,

Tammy Duckworth
United States Senator

Please do not reply to this email. The mailbox is unattended.
To share your thoughts, please visit my webpage.

 

Comments

Popular Posts