The Official Community of Rufus Wainwright

The Official Community of Rufus Wainwright

Hello all:

WARNING: THIS TEXT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN TOO SERIOUSLY!!!!

Once again through the treacherous pitfalls of a full year have most of us made it, gasping for air and grabbing at threads in order to prop ourselves up again on the icy edge of the eternal precipice in order to repeat the thrust, and fling our fragile selves yet again down the everlasting chutes of peril. For a moment we stand, exhausted and confused with no idea of what's up or down, but still miraculously we have the insatiable drive to go on despite imminent treachery and destruction.

Obviously, as you all know, I've had quite a time of it the last few months and am still reeling from the various gargantuan events which have pockmarked my life: death, birth, opera and Obamacare are but the few iceberg\asteroids pirrouetting about my weary head. So it is with great fanfare and relief that I announce the onset of yet another Blackoutsabbath cycle, first a small intimate concert Sunday March 14th at the beautiful Park Avenue Armory (when I say intimate I really mean it: it's only Martha and I) and then subsequently down the road on the 19th of June, the official Blackoutsabbath Day 2010, when we can all switch everything off and enjoy a day for a day, no power, only time of which there is always so little.

The program, much like the fantastic Stanford White architecture of the space, will be decidedly European. Martha will sing Piaf and I (drum roll please).............will sing the entire Berlioz song cycle, "Les Nuits d'Ete." Now, this later announcement comes with a warning - let me explain.

I don't consider this first run through of Hector's massive work as the official premiere of yet another daunting move I'm making in the world of classical music. If anything, it's a bench mark set to aid the rise of this gnarled bud that one day will see the light of day and blossom into a full blown lugubrious flower......in other words, I'm going to make a lot of mistakes.

So pop down, or most likely pop up. It's in the afternoon and hopefully we can enjoy some daring old music and not freeze to death. Love, Rufus.

Comments

Popular Posts