Oh! (HMC) The Places You'll Go!

So this entry is going to be a total mish-mash of random things that needed to be posted.

I love my parents and am so lucky that I have the amazing family that I have. The other day I forwarded a video that came from the chorus to a bunch of people in my circle of peeps.



So today I got a response from my mom and it just made me smile and almost had me in tears.
They express far more eloquently than I can exactly what Dad and I experienced at all of the concerts that we've attended. Heart-warming, soul searching, hauntingly beautiful music and messages. Looking forward to being part of it again.

So awesome. Again, it's hard for me to express how lucky I am to have such supportive parents and family.

So while I'm on the chorus kick I need to include this amazing announcement that I'm not sure that I wrote about or not previously. I know I said something about us performing at the new kauffman center but not this:

We are very excited to announce that HMC has been invited to perform for the Grand Opening Open House at Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday, September 18. We will sing at 3:40 pm in the beautiful and acoustically perfect Helzberg Hall. The open house is free to the public from noon to 5 pm. Come join us!

So amazing! I don't know if it really can be overstated how astounding this is. To be on the stage of this gorgeous new hall and to be featured as one of the groups during the grand opening is seriously something that I'll never forget. This is a really big deal people. A really big deal. To give you an idea of the new hall and the new acoustics here's a video of the Kansas City Symphony at the first rehearsal ever in the new hall. What a moment this must have been and I'm glad someone took the time and documented it for history.



So I know I did post about this next announcement on my blog but it's still pretty cool. Essentially it's that Dan Savage, founder of the "It Gets Better" project, will be joining us this spring to narrate our concert "When I Knew." So this whole concert is based on the stories from this book called "When I Knew". Google Books has this description:
When I Knew is a collection of smart, hilarious, and often poignant stories about that revelation for all gay men and women: when they first knew. In this gorgeously illustrated, cleverly designed, and colorful book, acclaimed fashion and celeb-rity photographer Robert Trachtenberg brings humor and style to the EUREKA! moments of more than eighty contributors, including B. D. Wong, Arthur Laurents, Simon Doonan, Stephen Fry, Marc Shaiman, Michael Musto, and more. Also mixed in are tales about when parents knew and when everyone else knew, as well as laugh-out-loud coming-out stories.

Readers will fall in love with these anecdotes, from the seven-year-old who looked under the television set to sneak a peek under Tarzan's loincloth, to the inquisitive grandmother who asked her grandson, "You don't like a girl to get married? You prefer a boy?", to the courageous field trip participant who passed up the universal favorite burger-and-fry combo in favor of the fruit plate with cottage cheese.

Filled with original art by New Yorker illustrator Tom Bachtell, historical images, and personal photographs from the contributors, When I Knew is a vibrant and witty celebration of that sometimes glorious, sometimes painful, but always captivating moment when everything suddenly makes sense.

It's almost too much to take in one sitting. Rehearsals start next week, and then we're off to the new stunning Kauffman Center for the Grand Opening, the holiday concert in December. Then the "When I Knew" concert and oh ya did I tell you that next year we're taking HMC on the road to Denver for the annual GALA Conference?


Comments

Popular Posts