Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi Responds To My Letter RE: The Equality Act

RAJA KRISHNAMOORTHI
8TH DISTRICT, ILLINOIS
115 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Telephone: (202) 225-3711
Fax: (202) 225-7830
1701 East Woodfield Rd, Suite 704
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Telephone: (847) 413 1959
Fax: (847) 413-1965

 www.krishnamoorthi.house.gov




Congress of the United States // House of Representatives // Washington, DC 20515




COMMITTEE ON
OVERSIGHT & REFORM


Subcommittees
Economic & Consumer Policy
Chairman

Environment
HOUSE PERMANENT SELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE

Subcommittees:
Strategic Technologies &
Advanced Research

Intelligence Modernization &
Readiness
February 26, 2021


Mr. William Rosen
----------------------
----------------------

Dear Mr. Rosen:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for the Equality Act.  I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts on this issue and would like you to know I am a cosponsor of this legislation.
The Equality Act was introduced on March 13, 2019 by Representative David Cicilline and would expand the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, education, housing, and public accommodations.

While we have made tremendous strides towards greater inclusion, many LGBTQ Americans still face discrimination in their personal and professional lives.  Many states do not include gender and sexual orientation in their non-discrimination laws-meaning people can be fired, denied housing or a loan, and be refused services for their gender presentation or sexuality.

Without federal non-discrimination protections, our current patchwork system leaves little recourse for LGBTQ Americans who are fired, evicted, or denied any other accommodation due to their sexuality or gender. The Equality Act would protect the safety and economic opportunity of every single American.

As a proud member of the House Equality Caucus, I am honored to be an original cosponsor of the Equality Act. I will continue to work with my colleagues to guarantee the civil rights of everyone across Illinois and the United States, regardless of sexuality or gender.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, and I hope you will continue to keep me informed regarding issues that concern you.  I encourage you to visit my website at krishnamoorthi.house.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to receive periodic updates on my activities as your representative in Washington, D.C.
Sincerely,
(signed)
Raja Krishnamoorthi
Member of Congress
RK/ZS

Comments

Popular Posts