Sen. Duckworth Responds To My Letter RE: U.S. Armed Forces’ involvement in hostilities in the Republic of Yemen and Federal funding in support of the Saudi-led coalition

Dear William, 
----- ----- 
Lombard, IL 60148 

Thank you for contacting me about U.S. Armed Forces’ involvement in hostilities in the Republic of Yemen and Federal funding in support of the Saudi-led coalition involved in the hostilities. I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this important matter. 

The Saudis in Yemen are responsible for perpetuating one of the worst humanitarian situations in the world. Untold numbers have been killed, starved to death and have died of cholera. American military assistance in this coalition must end. That is why I have supported provisions in previous National Defense Authorization Acts (NDAA) to end U.S. support for Saudi operations, limit sales of weapons to the Saudi coalition and make sure that U.S. forces are not involved in this conflict. 

I will continue to support similar provisions as part of future efforts to curtail this humanitarian crisis. I personally understand the impact and true cost of war and agree we must exercise prudence before becoming involved in an armed conflict in any capacity. Unfortunately, despite encouraging Congressional action in the previous Congress when the House and Senate approved a joint resolution to direct the removal of U.S. Armed Forces from hostilities in Yemen that have not been authorized by Congress, President Trump blocked this removal with a veto. 

For too long, the Executive Branch has been emboldened to commit our troops in engagements around the world without giving the American people a true voice, through their representatives in Congress, about where and when we commit our military. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for Congress to stop ceding its solemn Article I responsibility to declare war, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as this issue comes before the Senate in the future. 

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. If you would like more information on my work in the Senate, please visit my website at www.duckworth.senate.gov. You can access my voting record and see what I am doing to address today’s most important issues. I hope that you will continue to share your views and opinions with me and let me know whenever I may be of assistance to you.  

Sincerely, 
Tammy Duckworth 
United States Senator

Comments

Popular Posts