Rufus Wainwright

Dear God, just typing that date makes you think where in the sam hill did March go? Well anyway, this weekend was crazy, we had the show, and it was wonderful. Not that there weren't a couple of hitches along the way, but overall it was fabulous. On Saturday night there were more glaring errors than anything, but it was mostly the narrator, and not the chorus. At one point during one of his monologues, before the Chamber Chorus' "Proud Mary" number, he just completely blanked, and tried to remember his words, and I'm sure that panic ensued, and he was supposed to introduce the Proud Mary number, but he just blanked, and then tried to cover his tracks, (which is commendable) but not very successfully. So anyway, the crowd recovered from that wonderfully, and I heard someone say, it was probably Joe Nadeau, that most of those errors we noticed more than anyone else, the audience didn't have a clue, so you know you are always your own worst critic. Another thing that was sort of interesting was thatPatrick Sinozitch came to the show. I won't say anything other than this: his plastic surgery was more apparent than ever, and maybe it was because I hadn't seen him since being in California but for the love of god, when I saw him up in one of the box seats on stage right, and the lights were hitting him, I could immediately tell that there was major work done, and that was from a long distance. I had a fleeting conversation with him after the concert, and he was saying that the show was great, and he was looking for Joe Nadeau, and that the show in July would be fun, so it was a very fleeting conversation at best. I would love to hear what he went back and told the chorus, if he was honest with us in saying that he enjoyed the show, or if he was just fluffing us up, and then went back and told the chorus that we sucked and that CGMC could blow us out of the water or something to that effect. I could only assume the latter of the two possibilities, and I know that's assuming the worst, but you have to consider the root of this, and who we're dealing with. Anyway, enough negativity, I just wanted to sort of throw that out there, because I just thought it was terribly interesting. Seeing Patrick just reiterated how much I have enjoyed the move to KC because seeing him just made all of those memories of CGMC, and everything involved with that come right back to me, and it was a nice feeling to know that I didn't have any of that energy anymore, and that I had moved on with my life. So after the show on Saturday night Richard and I went out to the bar called 'The Other Side' and had a couple drinks at the bar that was on the upper level, and then when we got down to the lower level, we saw Joe and Shane, and Patrick and whomever he was with. I recognized the guy that he was with as a Chicago guy, but I couldn't recognize where I recognized him from. So anyway, enough about that. So Saturday was much better, all the timing issues were reconciled, and the show went without a hitch. It was so cool because when the house lights went up for the audience to read their tickets for the 'Wall of Wine' raffle, I could see Phyllis, and Connie in the audience waving to me. I sort of gave them a smile from on stage. So the show went brilliantly, and I was really glad that they came to the Sunday show, and saw the better show. I saw them afterwards and the accolades were pouring in, they just loved the show, and it was really wonderful of them to come to the show. I sent them an email and thanked them for coming this morning. It was just so touching that they came to my show, I just was so touched by that, it was such a wonderful show of support for someone who they haven't known for a terribly long time. So afterwards, I got a chance to talk with Elaine and got to meet her friend, and those two came to the cast party, and apparently loved it. I knew that they would love coming to the cast party, it's always such a hoot to go to the cast party and mingle with everyone. So then after a while, Elaine and her friend left the party, and then not long afterwards Richard and I left because we were just both so exhausted from a tiring weekend. I felt so bad for Richard because on Sunday, he had to get up and get ready for church and then play for two services, and then he had scheduled a Diva! Diva! Diva! rehearsal for 1pm on Sunday, but that was canceled because Lea Lavish was sick, so at least he got some down time on Sunday afternoon. I actually got to go tochurch on Sunday, and it was really funny because Chris Michaels tried to fool the congregation into believing that he was leaving and that Richard was leaving too, and was going to join the "Blonde's on Ice" tour. It was just so hysterical. It's so amazing to go to those services, because the music is so tremendous ( and I'm not saying that because my husband is the Music Director) and I always get so much out of those services. It was also the first time that I drove myself to the church, because Richard has to be there really early to rehearse with his music people, so I woke up at about 10am or so, and then I thought it was 11, because all of the clocks said 11, but it really was 10, and then I realized that I could still make the second service, so I drove there, and got to the service right on time. Brilliant. The other thing that I realized about my beautiful car is that she guzzles the gas. Dear god, although I was driving around a lot this weekend, I think I filled up the tank on the way to rehearsal on either Wednesday or Thursday, and then I had hardly any gas left to get me to the gas station this morning, but it got there. I was joking with Richard last night when we were leaving the cast party that it would be funny if I called AAA and utilized one of my services that I'm paying for with the membership, because if I did run out of gas, or got a flat tire or something, I could just call them, and they would take care of it. Love that. It's so nice to be so current with everything, that way I could actually use the services that AAA has.

Oh Dear God, Richard just emailed me and told me that the realtor is at the house, and the client that he showed the house to, is going to make an official offer on the house tonight! WHEW! That is such wonderful news, I know that my baby has been wanting to sell the house as quickly as possible, and this just might do it! How fabulous. I know that Elsa was working on the sale on Sunday, and that guy was asking a bunch of questions about the house, so it was really good news that he is going to make an offer tonight! We could be living on the underpass sooner than we thought!
I also noticed on my calendar that it is Cara's birthday tomorrow, so I'll have to send her a card or something, to their new house. It's her 34th. I just bought a bunch of stamps and a card so I can send her the card in the mail. I was also talking with Charlie about wiring that money to him, and Richard and I decided to do that together tomorrow, since we don't have rehearsal on Tuesday. I am so glad that we don't have rehearsal, I was getting a little bit tired of the rehearsal thing, just because last week we saw those guys every single day, and it just wore a bit thin after Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday spending a bulk amount of time with them. Don't get me wrong, I love the chorus but Richard and I were talking about how it has to be a really special person that you can hang out with for such an extended period of time, and we have that together, and I am so thankful for that. I am listening to

Selmasongs right now, and it's such a fabulous album, Dave was telling me that she is going to be coming out with a new album soon, that it's supposed to have a huge choir involved. That sounds fascinating to me. Dave also told me that he has sent the new Rufus Wainwright album on a tape for me to hear. He said that the new album is just wonderful, and that Rufie is going to be in Chicago on May 13th, which happens to be my mom's birthday. I would die to see Rufus again. If I keep on talking about him, then I'll never stop, because he is so gorgeous, and he is so amazingly talented. I wonder if there is going to be a new website for the new album, because that old website on "a href="http://www.dreamworks.com"> Dreamworks is sort of tired after seeing it for a couple years. That album is fabulous, but I know he can do so much more than that, and I hope this album lives up to that. Apparently, from what Dave has said, it does live up to it, and more. I just can't wait to hear it.

BEI HENNEF

by D.H. Lawrence

The little river twittering in the twilight,
The wan, wondering look of the pale sky,
This is almost bliss.
And everything shut and gone to sleep,
all the troubles and anxieties and pain
gone under the twilight.
Only the twilight now, and the soft "sh" of the river
that will last forever.
And at last I know my love for you is here;
I can see it all, it is whole like the twilight,
it is large, so large, I could not see it before,
because of all the little lights and flickers and
interruptions,
Troubles, anxieties and pains.
You are the call, and I am the answer,
you are the wish, and I am the fullfillment,
you are the night, and I the day.
What else - it is perfect enough.
It is perfectly complete,
You and I,
What more--?
Strange, how we suffer in spite of this.

I just love that poem, it just reminds me of how much I love Richard, and how he is the only thing in this world that I want and need. Saying that seems like it's a little bit dramatic, and it seems like I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket as it were, but I think that this one is going to be for a long time, a long time. If things keep up like they've been going, I have a feeling that we're going to be old farts together.

Another thing about this week is that the deposit for the Europe trip is due tomorrow. I emailed Rick Fisher and asked him if I could possibly pay that deposit on Thursday, because I get paid, and I just don't have that kind of cash until Thursday, but I was cleaning out my chorus folder and I found the itinerary (tentative) for the Europe trip.



The Heartland Men's Chorus European Tour
June 27 - July 8, 2002

June 27 - USA/ENROUTE: Depart from Kansas City on board an international carrier for London. All meals served on board as well as complimentary beverages, movies, and earphones for your travel comfort.

June 28 - LONDON: Arrive in London and be met by your tour manager at the exit to customs. Transfer to your hotel, having a 2 hour panoramic tour on the way. Check in and have the late afternoon at leisure to enjoy London. Tonight you will have a welcome dinner together in a local resteraunt. Overnight in London.

June 29 - LONDON: Continental breakfast. Morning sightseeing tour. You will see parliament, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Sir Christopher Wren's magnificent St. Paul's Cathedral and the famous Nelson's column in Trafalgar Square. Remainder of the day at your leisure to spend in the center of the city or rehearsal with London's Gay mens Chorus. Independent early dinner. Evening CONCERT with London's Gay Men's Chorus. Overnight in London.

June 30 - LONDON: Continental breakfast in hotel. Day at leisure to enjoy sightseeing, shopping, and time with host chorus. Independent dinner. Overnight in London.

June 1 - LONDON/PARIS: Continental breakfast in hotel. Transfer to Waterloo International Station to catch the Eurostar to Paris. Your European coach will meet you at the Guard du Nord and take you to your hotel in Paris. Rest of the afternoon at leisure in the city - you could dine in an outdoor cafe' on the Champs-Elysees. Independent dinner and possible get together with host chorus. Overnight in Paris.

June 2 PARIS: Continental breakfast in hotel. Half day bus sightseeing tour of Paris. Entrance to Notre Dame Cathedral is included! Also, see the famous Champs Elysees, the L'Arc de Triomphe and finish with a walking tour of Montmartre, Paris' artistic quarter. POSSIBLE CONCERT in the center of the Pompidou Centre - one of the most popular in Paris. Independent dinner. Evening CONCERT with Paris Gay Men's Chorus. Overnight in Paris.

June 3 PARIS: Continental breakfast in hotel. Day at leisure in Paris for shopping and sightseeing or OPTIONAL trip out to Versailles to spend the day at the palace of Louis XIV. Independent dinner and overnight in Paris.

June 4 PARIS/AMSTREDAM: Continental breakfast in hotel. Early departure for Amsterdam (the "City of Canals"), arriving late afternoon. See the stately Royal Palace on the Dam Square, the Rijksmuseum, home to the famous "Nightwatch" by Rembrandt; and the Anne Frank House. Hotel check in. Independent dinner and overnight in Amsterdam.

June 5 AMSTERDAM/HAMBURG: Continental breakfast in hotel. Continue your journey to Germany. Stop in the town of Munster for lunch. munster, where local lords used to stay in winter, lies in the middle of a wooded plain studded with castles and beautiful manor houses. The city has been carefully restored to give full value to its many Gothic and Renaissance facades. On arrival in Hamburg ( which is often called the 'Venice of the North' because of its canal network) check into your hotel where you will have a group dinner. Possible evening party with Hamburg host chorus.

June 6 HAMBURG: Continental breakfast in hotel. Morning free in the city for sightseeing and shopping. Places of interest are the large lake Alster which lies like a jewel in the heart of the city or the pedestrian precincts and covered malls which form an almost uninterrupted labyrinth of art galleries, fashion shops, boutiques, jewelry stores and restaurants. POSSIBLE AFTERNOON CONCERT: SING outside the Rathaus (a large palace) in the city's main square to promote evening concert. Independent dinner. Concert with Hamburg Gay Men's Chorus. Overnight in Hamburg.
June 7 HAMBURG: Continental breakfast in hotel. Day at leisure to do your last minute sightseeing and souvenir shopping and time with host chorus. Farewell dinner at a local resteraunt. Overnight in Hamburg.

June 8 HAMBURG/USA: Continental breakfast in hotel. Transfer to the airport for your return journey to Kansas City on board an international carrier. All meals served on board as well as complimentary beverages, movies, and earphones for your travel comfort.

Isn't that the most fabulous trip? What I found out last night when Richard and I were talking about the whole Europe trip, was that the chorus is going to comp him if they go, so all we would have to worry about (he and I, but mostly me) would be my trip costs. I thought the fact that they were comping him was fabulous of them. I assume, because he's the only real piano player there, I mean, they have an assistant accompanist, but Jeff I don't think could learn all that stuff that fast. Maybe I'm underestimating his abilities, but we were talking about what if Richard was in an accident the night of the show, and had to be in the hospital or something, what would happen to the chorus? I realize that the show must go on, but it seems like a worst-case scenario if that would ever happen (god forbid that it did ever happen). I hate even talking about this kind of thing, it just sends me a bad vibe, so I stop. So I am listening now to Herbie Hancock's Gershwin's World, and it has that fabulous track on that won a grammy for Stevie Wonder singing "St. Louis Blues."

Dave and I were just speaking on the phone, and we were talking about the Rufus Waingwright concert, and how we need to bring him presents on the night of the concert, and that we need to bring him prescription drugs as well. It's all a matter of: FULL ACCESS

I was thinking that maybe I could just write another webpage for this entirely, but I want to perhaps integrate it with the music page, or perhaps the beligerent triopage. I'll have to see how that goes when I get a chance to update this again.

Comments

Popular Posts