Catching up a bit

Well today I have been trying to catch up on my work...at work. When I got to work today, I had fifty emails that I had to return, and al of them had issues that I needed to resolve. Meetings to schedule, meetings to cancel, etc. So I am swamped. Last night, Richard and I had a quiet evening at home. He had a rehearsal with the baritone that he is playing for this Friday, and he was unbelieveable, just a fabulous, booming voice. I didnt' get a chance to tell him, but he was marvelous! On a whole seperate tangent, it seems as though Richard's family and my family are going through the exact same thing now, tending to family members who are rapidly declining. I am sort of removed from my family's situation, just because it's happening in Lombard, Illinois, but then again, I feel very connected to this process because I have known my Uncle John all my life. When I got that email from my mom, I was at work, and I started to break down, but then I realized that I was at work, and sort of reeled it back in, and sort of contained myself. I am thinking of him, and Richard's mother often. I have to think that to suffer like they are doing, I just hope that they both pass with ease and comfort. I don't want to talk about this anymore.
I got an email from Jeff a while ago about the Class of 2001 that I thought was really interesting.

The Class of 2001

1. The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1982.
2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
3. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
4. Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
5. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
6. They have never feared a nuclear war.
7. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
8. Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
9. Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
10. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
11. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The expression you sound like a broken record means nothing to them.
12. They have never owned a record player.
13. They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
14. They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
15. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.
16. They have always had an answering machine.
17. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV.
18. They have always had cable.
19. There has always been VCR's, and VHS but they have no idea what BETA is.
20. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
21. They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
22. Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.
23. Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
24. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
25. Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
26. They have never seen Larry Bird play.
27. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
28. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.
29. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
30. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
31. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
32. They never heard: " Where's the beef?"," I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, de plane".
33. They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
34. The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.
35. Michael Jackson has always been white.
36. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups.
37. McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers.
38. There has always been MTV.
39. They don't have a clue how to use a manual typewriter.

I thought that this was shocking too! This is from the press breifing from the White House!

Q The second question I have for you, there's a broad coalition of political leaders, ranging from former CIA Director James Woolsey to consumer advocate Ralph Nader, that are pushing for the legalization of industrial hemp. This is a non-drug crop, it was grown by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. It has a ride range of uses, clothing, fuel. Farmers around the world are growing it; China, Canada, importing it. It's illegal here, in the United States, for farmers to grow it. Does the President favor the legalization of industrial hemp?

MR. FLEISCHER: I'm not aware of any statements that the President has made that would lend one to reach that conclusion.

Q Can you look into it?

MR. FLEISCHER: Industrial hemp? Well, I'll advise you if anything changes from what I just said.

Very interesting eh? Oh, and I almost forgot about this; yesterday I met Susan Peterson at the Kohl's in OP after work, and after that we went to the Target. So we're eating at the little cafe or whatever, and then we were going to look for that Elton John song that we were going to sing at the variety show. So we're walking along, and she says "Bill, come this way" and I was like ...what? So she walks away from me and says to me again "walk this way....you're trying to avoid someone here" and I said "WHAT?"...and I'm thinkng...who in this city am I trying to avoid, I've been here since December and I really don't know that many people here. So she says "It's Kevin E." (for people who don't know who that is...it's Richard's ex-bf) and I looked around, but I still couldn't see him. So I never got to see him, but apparently we came within like twenty feet of eachother. Very interesting.

Comments

Popular Posts