Can I tell you a story please?

Can I tell you a story please?

In the previous entry I wrote that I saw Rufus Wainwright in concert, and met him and his band. This entry will prove it without a shadow of a doubt. Let me just start at the beginning. I started the day with my good friend the flute player. I was helping her with everything house-related, and then we went to work out in the gym. This gym is like no gym you've seen before. Johnson County makes me sick sometimes, because of all the affluence. Well anyway, we went to the gym, took a swim in the olympic size pool, and did the hot steam baths, sauna's and very very hot whirlpools. So much fun. I did twenty minutes in the tanning booth too, just to get a base right? A girl's gotta get her base before the summer, or else you's in trouble! We left to go to my house and meet Scott and that's where the story starts. D and I get to my house, and I run in to change into my silver David Bowie concert shirt (because you know, this is a very special occasion, seeing my future ex-husband, Rufus, so appropriate attire is expected!). Scott rolls around from work and then we make our way to the car, to go to Lawrence. We asked my roomate Jason to take a picture of the road-trip crew, and of course we had to return the favor and get a picture of Jason and Paul. So then Diane takes a picture of all of the fags and we are off to Lawrence. Portions of this trip, just the road trip, are on video also. During the 45 minute trip, D and I trade earrings, because she loved my hoops, so now I am looking as gay as one man could possibly look. But of course, I love it. We get to Lawrence and find the Rufus tour bus. Now, I've had this experience before. If you go to the bus, there will always be a sighting of the person ON the bus. So, I've been called a stalker before, and apparently somebody on the bus, thought so too, because as I was standing in front of the bus, trying get Rufus to come off the bus, they put up the curtainto block our view into the bus. That picture was hysterical when I first saw it, because it was completely NOT posed. We then ask some strange men to take a picture of us in front of the U Haulthat is attached to the bus. As we are eating in the little gay coffeehouse right by the bus, I see Rufus coming out of the bus. I took a picture, but it's not worth posting here. We'll get to it, oh will we EVER get to it. We get to the concert venue and we were supposed to sit upstairs in the balcony, but there was absolutely no security, so we just wandered down, into the general admission area on the main floor. Saw some Kansas City boys (Bill N. and Don), and got settled in for the show. Martha (Rufus' sister) came out first and did her gig. All I can say to that is somebody unplug the goddammed microphone. There's another story to that too. So Rufus comes out, I am screaming like a little girl naturally. The review of the show has some great pictures. Most of ours didn't come out, because we couldn't get too close. That's ok, we got all the COUP pictures we needed for this experience, lemme tell ya. I'll get to it.

So after the show, we wait around for awhile at the bus. Some random people come out, and then I see the hotass bass player come out and start signing cd's for some people. Of course he walks across the street, and D goes right after him. Scott and I walk to Diane and by this time she has already taken a picture of him. I introduce myself and shake his hand and tell him that I've been a fan of Rufus since 97. He was suprised; and I asked if we could take a picture him with us and he was totally gracious and obliged. He was on the way to this bar called the Tap Room and we strayed away from him, whilst deciding what to do, because, frankly, the target was Rufus. It was nice to meet the bass player, but my whole goal was first contact with Rufus. So we decided to go to this bar the Tap Room and see if he was there. I felt so bad, because there was this girl in front of the bar that was hanging out by the bus after the show, and she so desperately wanted to get in, but she was underage. I asked her if her friend (another hottie that was waiting outside the bus after the show) was in the bar, and she said 'yeah, he went in to go see if Rufus and the band went into the bar". I said "you can't get into the bar?" and she said "no, I'm 20". I simply said "excuse me", and walked up the steps into the bar, D and Scott followed. Upon entering the really dark bar, I was immediately carded, and after I looked around the bar for a bit, I saw him. He was standing about ten feet away from me, in the middle of the bar, talking with a fan. I said "oh my god Diane, he's right there, he's standing right there!" she said "okay, here we go" and walked right up to him, being respectful enough to wait till he was done talking with the guy that he was talking to (psycho guy) and quickly snapped a picture. He started talking to us first, and we congratulated him on the show, and then he said "oh, you were the guys at the bus this afternoon, right?" Uh, yeah, so you realize that we really DID stalk you, and that was us that made you put up the curtain? We asked if we could take some pictures, and he said sure. So nice, so gracious. I was first. As this was all going on, I said "Rufus, I've been a fan of yours forever..blah blah", and as I was saying this, I grabbed the left part of his waist (so skinny, so hot) with my left arm, and he put his arm around me and FLASH I couldn't believe it. Scott introduced himself and FLASH. Since D was taking the pictures, I offered to take one of her and him. The first one didn't turn out well so I didn't scan it, but the second one sho nuff did. I gave the camera back to her and she snapped another one which took him completely off guard and he at that point asked us not to take any more pictures because it hurt his eyes. Understandable. I must've said "okay, just one more picture, and we'll leave you alone" HAAAAA! So at that point, I seriously didn't want to appear as we really were, stalkers, so we thanked him again for the great show, and he walked away. So amazing. Scott and I sat down at the bar, ordered a Corona and tried to calm down. Where was D? Of course she followed Rufus to the corner where he was sitting with his sister Martha and got another picture. At that point, D said that Martha said "no more pictures". The flash crazy trio has been fended off by Martha. Whatever, we have speculated that she was the one on the bus, who saw me trying to look in and pulled the curtain. These questions will never be answered, but let me just give her some advice from Scott being the little farm-boy that he is. "In Kansas we know what's under a pig's tail sister". I just laughed and laughed, because my friend David and I, the last time we saw Rufus she was there singing in her nasal voice, and we hated her then and I don't think David's opinion has changed. Just stop singing bitch. I loves Scott's comment in the car after the whole night was through: "well, she's a good BACKGROUND singer". Now D and Scott are part of the "down with Martha" club. Love it. So we were drinking a beer at the end of the bar, when I see Teddy Thompson racking up the pool balls for a game of pool. I had to go introduce myself and say "I loved the show, I love you're voice, been a fan of Rufus' forever, and I discovered you through him, and am a fan of yours as well. He was so sincere and said thanks man, I said "I have all your albums" (is that not the cheeziest thing you can say to a musical celebrity?) and he said "just one, right?" and it was just funny. So D quickly slipped a quick picture in, and then I introduced him to Scott and Scott shook his hand and said "Hi, I'm Scott", and he said "Hi, Teddy"...like he was just some guy off the street...so unassuming, so sincere. I asked if we could take a picture together, and why stop at Rufus when you can get a picture with a hotass guitar player/songwriter too? He put his arms around both Scott and I and voila. We finished our beer, and left with yet another Rufus Wainwright COUP, and this time, pictures to prove it. Amazing company, brilliant show, I mean..amazing music, and the best of all, FIRST CONTACT BABY!

On a completely different tangent, I got some horrible news about a close family member of mine. I will not post it, because it is intensely private, but please keep my whole family in your prayers. On a lighter note, I do have all of the road trip pictures scanned, I just need to write that whole episode up at a later date. Rufus was a tsunami that took precedence over the road trip, but I'll leave you with this: What would make someone stop in the middle of their road trip, lie down on the concrete of a parking lot at a gas station in the middle of fucking nowhere Kansas? Probably a large peice of the bumper that was dragging along the road, as a result of the rodent that I hit in my poor wifes car. Why do I think that there is a novel here somewhere?

Comments

Popular Posts