ohtheconcertweekend.com

ohtheconcertweekend.com

Don't have time to update, but I will later tonight or perhaps later, but the weekend was the concert weekend, Scotty and I are about to take off for the second performance after going and hearing Bukeka Shoals at Unity this morning, and then going to the Classic Cookie for a fabulous brunch with all the church boys, and meeting these two lesbians who I just adored, I offered to sing at their wedding that they are having in September, and they agreed! So now I have to burn some cd's of sample music of some stuff that I could sing, and then meet them to discuss. Talked to my dad this morning before church, and they were 6 miles out on Lake Michigan on the boat with my brothers. Love it. 

Trey Miller is SO GAY! He emailed me this and I told him at the bar that I would put this in my journal for him to check out:

Mr. Rosen -
Trey here.
We exchanged subtleties at the bah tonight. Just wanted to write since you said you'd give me a little shout-out on ohthebill.com. Obviously I can't provide the in-depth proclivities of Scott from Rhode Island. But, maybe you can mention how your board is helping to inspire Log Cabin Republicans like me make their way into the more advanced-thought directions of the Stonewall Democrats. Right now the increments are more baby steps than great strides, but I'm progressing. Anyway....I'm off to bed so I can be geared up to go To Oz and Beyond tomorrow. BTW - I'm so looking forward to attending your party. Someone tonight told me what I was supposed to bring (besides booze, of course), but I'd be curious if you knew what that was. TTYL,
Trey Miller 

And then Dayvid sent me this hysterical bit from Billboard Magazine, about one of my favorite artists.
Billboard Magazine 
From issue dated September 08, 2001 

If you're looking for human weakness, it's easily located anywhere, but if strength is what you're seeking, it can only be found within. It seems it's never too late to learn such lessons. Consider, for instance, a recent impromptu face-off in a Santa Monica, Calif., cafe between an older artist of heart and mind and a young musician in danger of losing such vital faculties. 

"There was one table available at the back," the female artist recalls of the encounter in the restaurant, "right next to what looked to be a rock'n'roller and his manager. It turned out to be a rock'n'roller and his A&R man. I had to sit close to them, and here's this kid in punk drag, tatooed, with dog bracelets on his wrists and around his neck, and his hair is spray-netted up. Basically, he's a Midwestern nerd who's become a yuppie. He's talking to the A&R guy, and his band is broken up, and he's trying to come up with something new. He says he didn't like the band 'sonically,' but all his considerations are to the fan bloc. He sounded like an accountant. There's barely enough room between us for the waiter to set my coffee down at my table," the woman artist continues, "so I can't help but overhear this kid, who's at a crossroads here, and the other guy was encouraging him to be inspired. I finally had enough." 

So she impulsively entered what had previously been a two-man talk by addressing some off-the-cuff remarks to the yuppie punk. "I called him on his lack of originality," she says, also telling him "that he was in this rock'n'roll costume that had nothing to do with who he was, but he didn't have the courage of his own individuality. I said he had disguised himself and didn't really like the music he was making. I said, 'Do you want to be an artist or a star? I can answer that question by just looking at you -- you'll do anything to fit. And the considerations that you're making guarantee that you're gonna be feeding the gristmill with more of this crap.' 

"He said, 'Well, I don't want to wake up broke at 48. It's good to have some business sense.' I said, 'Yeah, it's good to have some business sense after, but not at the point when you're making your art. Mr. A&R here is more of an artist than you are. Do you know how great it is to be told by your record company to be experimental? And you didn't even respond correctly to that. You go right back into your business head! [She laughs] Are you crazy?' 

"He said, 'Look, rock'n'roll is supposed to be dumb.' I said, 'Huh? Chuck Berry wasn't dumb, Bob Dylan's rock wasn't dumb. Hardly anybody else can reach such high standards. But at least try. Otherwise, when you wake up with little money in your pocket at 48 and you look at the dumb work, you'll have spent your whole life making shit while there's been spikes sticking out of you -- all of which isn't you at all.' 

"He said, 'You hate me!' [She laughs] I said, 'I don't hate you. I hate the music that's on the radio, because there's no muse to it -- it's just ick!' "He said, 'Why are you judging me so harshly? Who are you to judge me?' I said, 'That's what I hear from your generation all the time: 'Who are you to judge me?' The trouble is that nobody judged you, nobody told you how to judge your own work and judge yourself. You don't know how to think for yourself.' 

"He said, 'You don't how I am. You don't know my work.' I said, 'I'm sitting next to your table, listening to how your head works. I don't even have to hear your musical work to know that if you're the fountainhead, then it's more of this crap. And you don't know who I am!' 

"Then they both went, in unison, [glumly] 'Yes, we do.' And I went, 'Oh.' I thought I was just this anonymous granny, like, attacking [She laughs]." For the record, the 57-year-old artist on the offensive was and is Joni Mitchell, recounting another afternoon spent as a free woman in Los Angeles

Comments

Popular Posts