Weekend Re-cap

Weekend Re-cap
I just have to recap the weekend, because I didn't really get a chance to on Saturday, I just did the skydiving page and pretty much just ignored the journal. So on Friday, we didn't do anything, just because Richard was playing this show at the Quality Hill Playhouse, that we went to see on Saturday night, and that ended pretty late, so we wound up not doing much on Friday night. Saturday was the big day. We started out early, and got to Butler, right around 9:00am, and of course had to wait for the people from the skydiving company. They showed up, and then the only other person that was tandem jumping and I, we watched a half an hour video and then pretty much just jumped out of the plane. I have to say that I enjoyed the tandem much better because you had a much longer time up in the air. I guess I'll just take this step by step. So you take off in the plane, and it takes almost fifteen/twenty minutes to get up to the 10,000 feet that you have to get up to, to freefall, so it's sort of a nerve-wracking thing, just sort of biding your time, before you have to jump out. So they get to the allotted altitude, and then open the door. There was two people that jumped before us (the instructor guy and I) so watching them go is another nerve-wracking thing. The way that I describe this experience was that, it's probably the most illogical thing that you can think of. You're cramped in this little prop plane, four people in the back, and one pilot, and you watch these people jump out, and then it's your turn, and it goes SO fast. It's so drastically illogical, that your mind tells you "well, there WERE four people in this plane, now there's two....." and it also tells you not to do what you're about to do. So in order to jump, you have to step out onto the little platform, with the wind blaring at you at 100mph or whatever it is, and hold on to the support bar-thing under the wing. So you hold onto that (the instructor is on my back) and he says "Arch", so then you put your hands up in front of your face, and then he says something, I forget what it was, but he told us to let our feet go from the platform, so he was holding the support thingy. Then he says "1-2-3 GO" and then you fall. Okay, so they tell you in the class that when you jump, you don't feel the sensation of falling, because the plane is moving forward, and you just feel like you're flying. Well no, that's not at all what happened to me. I don't know where they got that, maybe they just tell you that to make you feel better. I felt like a combination of complete panic( in that I had no idea what was happening) and I guess sort of like a roller coaster, because I certainly felt the falling sensation. So then the next thing I recall, is the freefall. Breathing was hard, because it's just like being in a REALLY REALLY windy day, so it was difficult to breathe through your mouth, but I found it was much easier to breathe through your nose. The freefall was pretty quick, and then he pulled the damm ripcord. Of course, I didn't know WHEN he was going to pull the ripcord, so I was taken totally by surprise. It was a pretty violent action. Okay, so then the chute opens up, and everything's okay, and that's when you can sort of sit back and enjoy the ride. I was too preoccupied about what was happening up until this point to enjoy anything really. So the guy was talking to me all the way down at this point, and he was asking me if I was okay, and I said yes, but the damm harness was killing me, on the upper part of my legs, it just felt like I was holding ALL of my weight (and his) on those two straps around my legs, which I guess, it makes sense that I was, but it was just uncomfortable. So he says, let's do some turns, and he does the turns, but he was turning and turning, and doing a pretty sharp turn, and I was getting motion sickness....not from the skydiving at all, just from the non-stop turns, so I told him that I just didn't like that. So he says you take the controls. So I did for a while and it's just so amazing. It's really like no other experience I've ever had, you think of the phrase birds-eye view, and it really is, you're just sitting up there, flying around, and it's SO quiet! So it got to the point where we had to land, and he said put your feet up, and SLAM! I apparently landed first, which made us fall forward, and he landed right on top of me. So hysterical. It sort of hurt at the time, but it was fine, no damage done. Richard took some great pictures, and I will continue the tradition of skydiving on my birthday! So we left, and went and had a fabulous lunch at On the Border, and then I went and did the skydiving page, on the website, and then we both got back home, and then eventually went to this little great Thai place for dinner, went to Richard's show at Quality Hill "Tales of Gaydom" was fabulous, albeit a bit long, (it was 3 hours and 15 min), Met up with Diane Schick who I just have to say is the most hysterical woman. I simply love her more than my luggage. Then we went to the bar for a drink, and then to the cast party after that, and mingled with the cast, most of whom I had already known, because they were all in HMC, and then after about an hour there, we went home. Sunday, I did nothing, literally. I woke up at about 9:30am, thought "Oh, I'll go back to sleep for 5 minutes, and I'll get up for church at 10:30." Woke up at 11:15, and thought "Well I missed church so I'll sleep for 5 more minutes and then get up." Woke up at 2:20 or so, and sat in bed till about 2:35 and got up. Didn't do anything at all, I emptied the dishwasher today....that was the entirety of my Sunday. Richard had a full day, and was terribly exhausted from a really busy Saturday with me, and an even more busy Sunday playing church, recitals, etc. We had plans to go to a concert of two friends of his, but we were both too exhausted to do anything at that point. But all in all great weekend, great birthday, great life.

Comments

Popular Posts