03/13/01

Tuesday - March 13, 2001
Well I had sort of a so so day yesterday, it was bad things, but then it turned into sort of a positive, or I'm trying to put a positive spin on things. Needless to say, I finally got the W2 from the Chicago Public Schools Teachers Academy, so I started preparing my taxes so I could get my refund. So I'm doing all the math on the form, and it tells me that I have to PAY the damn IRS \\$500. I was pissed, how could that possibly happen? Well, and now that I am reflecting upon this, it makes sense, but, since I was working for Charlie as the Hospice worker, I made something like \\$7,700 or somewhere around there, and none of that money has taxes taken out of it, because it's from a disability payment, and Charlie doesn't pay taxes on that money. So anyway, now I'm stuck with the payment at the end of the year, and that sort of pissed me off. I was expecting to get a big ol' refund from the government, because I didn't make enough money in general to have to pay out anything, but now that this issue has come up with the Hospice money, now I have to pay a big chunk of the taxes on that. Not good. It's just one of those things that springs up on you, that you had no idea about, and that you totally weren't expecting. Pissed me off. But anyway, I remember having a conversation about this with Charlie when I was in Chicago, and he was telling me that Jennifer, the previous worker that he had working for him, ran into this same problem at the end of the year, and she wound up paying the taxes at the end of the year, and that he split the taxes with her. So hopefully that'll be the way that this winds up, I left him a message last night, but I have yet to speak with him personally. I spoke with Yvette yesterday at work, and it was great to talk with her. I haven't spoken to her really, since I left Chicago, and it was good to catch up with her. She said that she ran into Terese the other night at some bar, and that Terese looks great, that she's lost a LOT of weight, which is wonderful. She also said that they coordinated plans so that when I go to Chicago on Easter weekend, that we will hook up with Terese in the city. I seriously can't wait for Easter, I'm just sort of worried about the cost involved, but everything will work out. Yesterday I also sent a request for a greeting for my Grandma to the White House for her 88th birthday. I thought that was a cool idea. I got the idea through an email that I got from the White House, an Auto Response email that you get from the President every time you send him an email. I've been sending a lot of those emails lately, about the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, and issues like that. You might want to check my Matthew Shepard activism page to get a sample of these kinds of letters and emails. It's so funny, the Auto Response email says that "unfortunately, because of the sheer number of emails that the President receives, he can't read them personally" what a crock, it says that the staff reviews them and gives the President updates on issues. So I wonder if I send enough of those Hate Crimes Prevention emails, maybe I'll get on the agenda sometime. Wishful thinking I know, but what's wrong with wishful thinking? We have rehearsal tonight, the show is going really well, I invited some women from work to go, I hope they'll go, it should be a great show, and like I said in the email that I sent them, the cast party's always a hoot, you pay ten bucks and eat, meet all of the cast, and get drunk. You can't beat that. I have been increasingly excited about the car that I bought. It's an 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham V-6. And it is in pristine condition, it only has something like 43,000 miles on it! Brilliant Every once in a while, I'll take it out in the neighborhood and drive it around, just to keep it running. I found out what it takes to get the licence plates yesterday at work, you need the title, the insurance card, and a waiver that says something about the personal property, I don't know, Missouri is so weird, you have to pay taxes on the sale of the car, and then you have to pay personal taxes on it as well. I don't claim to fully understand the whole process, but Richard will help me along with it. and hopefully I can get my goddamned drivers license so I can legally drive in Missouri. This has been such a process, and Richard and I were talking about how when all of this is done, I will never want to deal with any of this shit again, I mean honest to god, this process, dealing with Springfield, IL, dealing with Missouri, I just never want to go through this again. At this point, it's been so long, that a couple of more weeks without a license is nothing compared to what I have waited up to this point. I think that'll be it for today, unless something else comes up and I have to write another novel. Whoop there it is!

Comments

Popular Posts