Skydiving Recollections

Well not to much to report today, I left workearly yesterday because I was not feeling well at all. So Richard picked me up and he ran a couple of errands, and then we went home. I slept (or tried to sleep) for a couple of hours before we had to go to Kathleen's house for dinner. That was fabulous, we had a huge dinner, and then we hung out with her and watched Will & Grace. Then we went back home, and there were a bunch of messages from Leila. So, just by chance, I was checking myHotmail and then Leila called. I was telling her that I was totally talking about her because I was telling Kathleen that my friend Leila, in Chicago, was like Grace, and I was like Will. Best friends forever. Leila was feeling a little bit blue, so I tried to cheer her up a little bit, as much as I could. I was taking a bath during our phone conversation, and I was scared that I was going to drop the phone and electrocute myself. But I didn't. I think that today is the day that the Mirspace station comes down from orbit. There were a bunch of news reports on that last night. I just thought that was the coolest thing. There's a link where you can go and track the Space Shuttle, Mir (well, not anymore!) and the International Space Station on my linkspage. Another news report was saying that what's his name, the guy that's not really the President, um, what's his name, oh yeah, George W. Bush is going to be in Kansas City on Monday. I'm sure you can find the schedule if you go to the Newsroom of the White House webpage. On the news, they said that there wasn't a schedule yet for the Kansas City trip, but he was supposed to be here on Monday. I think it will be pretty cool if Air Force One lands at the downtown airport, because then we can see it from our building. and then watch the motorcade as it comes from the downtown airport. It should be interesting. I think that's what someone said to me, that when the Prez comes to town, that Air Force One always lands at the downtown airport. I will try and find out when he is due in, and report on how I threw eggs at the motorcade. KIDDING! That's a really easy way to get arrested by the Secret Service. I want to figure out someway that I can protest it though. I just have to find out the details of his visit.
On a totally unrelated note, I got an email from Sue and it was wonderful to hear from her. I can't wait until I got to Chicago for Easter. I have my plane reservationsall set and in place. Now all I have to wait for is the day to come that I can get on the plane! For some reason, this trip to Chicago is like a big deal. I think it will be the first time that I've seen my parents since Thanksgiving. That actually makes sense, because when I was living in Chicago, I really didn't get to see them all that often, AND, now that I think about it, that makes sense, because Richard and I went to my parents for Thanksgiving, and then in December I moved to Kansas City and I never really got a chance to say goodbye to my parents, because we had that weird schedule. We said bye to Charlie, and then we said bye to < a href="mailto:s.eckl@worldnet.att.net">Sue & Thom but that was really it. Interesting. I never really thought about that until right this second. I really haven't been to my parents house since Thanksgiving of 2000! How crazy. I just sort of left town, I mean, I did call my parents and told them that I was moving out here, but I never really got to tell them personally, I mean, In ever got to go over there and talk with them. Oh well, I will have a chance on Easter to give them an update on how everything is going. I just emailed Pierce and asked him if I could borrow his laptop again. One of these days, I want to actually buy one of those things for myself, and then I can update this damm page whenever I want to. I've also been emailing back and forth with Susan Peterson because we're both totally bored at work. Oh my god, I just got an email from Leila . I was telling her that I feel like we're two kids talking on walkie-talkie's, and then she wrote to me "Chupacabra is that you? Its me Snow Queen. Over." Oh how funny. Then she was saying that she stayed up until 6am this morning. FREAK!
Mail from Leila

Chupacabra

I got SO wasted last night I had passed out shortly after talking to you. Then Brad came home and woke me up to tell me that people were going to come over. It was 1:30 am. I was like Bullshit. I took a shower and was going to go to bed then I was awake and so I drank instead of sleeping and then it snowed for a little as well as some other weather conditions. Its so weird!
over


Well, we had a bit of excitement at lunch today. We (PhyllisMelissa and I) were walking out of the Pavilion, after lunch, and then I looked down Main street, going North, and I noticed that there was a huge cloud of smoke coming from down the street, and then we saw, through the smoke that there was a car on fire, just sitting in the middle of a street. Then some construction workers got a fire extinguisher and totally doused the beautiful BMW with the fire extinguisher. So I walked into that little restaurant and told the bartender, I said "will somebody call the fire department, there's a car on fire over there." So, the fire department was there within like two minutes. I felt as if I did a good thing today. Leila gave me my horoscope today, and it reads:

It's very important to be aware of the image you're projecting at all times today, Libra. Wear your company manners just in case members of the press are snapping away or taking notes. Deniability is a cynical twist on responsibility. Don't try to get out of something you know you had a hand in -- but don't try to take all of the credit either. Even though you feel that this moment of recognition should be worth something more, the crowd may not be ready to give you a standing ovation just yet.

I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds good :-) I am totally bored at work, everybody in this office has either taken off early, or is not working at all, because every one is just sort of mingling around, talking to each other. I feel like, why I am here? Then again, I changed my perception about that, and if they want to pay me for hardly doing anything, then it's all good. I keep on thinking about the President being here, and how I can protest his appearance. I'll just have to research it this weekend. I'll be ready by Monday. If it's just holding a sign up that says "RESIGN GEORGE!" I'll be happy with that. I really have to start making these journal entries shorter, they take up a lot of space on the Hotmail account. I was thinking of getting my own domain. I think I've said that before, how fabulous would it be to have, Williamkeilrosen.com or something like that. I just have to think of a catchy name. Maybe I'll just use my name. I like Consuella.com too. Hysterical. I just have to sort of 'marinate' on that for a while, and see where that leads. When I get my finances back in order, then I'll get a laptop, and then I can have my own domain. I mean, I already have a great site all to myself, I just need to transfer everything from that one sight, to whatever I am going to get in the future. I got one of those For Rentmagazines that are free in Kansas City, just for Richard and I, because if this house sells, we need to find something quickly. I just hope that we can get something downtown.

This is from Act Four, Scene One of G. Verdi's MACBETH

"A deserted spot on the borders of England and Scotland. In the distance the forest of Birnam. Scottish refugees, men, women and children."

Oppressed country! The sweet name of mother, no cannot be thine, now that for thy children thou art converted all to a tomb! The cry of orphans and bereaved-lamenting the loss of husbands or children at the coming of each new morn flies up and wounds the heavens. To that cry heaven makes response as if, moved to pity, it would propagate in the infinite thy sufferings, oppressed county! The bell eternally tolls to death, but no man makes so bold as to shed a useless tear for those who suffer and those who die. Oppressed county! My country, o my county!

I LOVE that. Yvette asks a great question in her email to me: Why can't you have a simple lunch,
{THERE IT IS, QUITE PLAIN AND SIMPLY}
and did you simply walk in the restaurant and ask to call the fire department or did you demand it. Somebody help the dumb people!!
and then again:
You are too funny, I can imagine you going hysterical, (about the car fire) I bet the weather is nice there. Is there a lot of discrimination there? You have to see the house on Easter it is mango yellow in the kitchen, we are like 2 big Mexican in the fiesta house!!

I was talking with Susan about this whole concept of 'thinking outside of the box' and I was telling her that I was reading an article last night at Kathleens. It was inOprah's O-Magazine and it was the column that she writes at the end of the issue called "What I Know For Sure" and it effected me quite positively, because I think that I have been thinking 'outside of the box' for quite a while now. I mean, I was telling Susan, that anytime I get upset, or I am fearful or something that I need to do, or have to do in the future, I just think of the skydivingexperience that I had last October, in Kansas City. It's really hard to put into words how that experience affected me, but I can only say that it wasn't until we got up in the plane, and they opened the door, and I saw the two other guys jump OUT of the plane, that I thought to myself "Bill, just do it, it's not rational, it's not logical, it's not ANYTHING, just do it." and then I climbed towards the instructor, I put my right foot out of the plane, while holding the wing support, put my hands on that thing, and clung for dear life, and then let my legs fly free, so now that my hands are the only thing that is holding me to that plane. I looked left, and saw the instructor guy motion to me and yell to me "GO!" and, it was at that moment, that I had this I don't even know how to explain it, my mind was racing at a million miles a second, I was thinking of what I had to do when I jumped, I was thinking of WHERE I WAS, because I could see the ground that was 14,000 feet below me, with nothing in between me and the ground, and then I hung there for a second, (and this is where my experience I'm sure is different than what actually happened) and it seemed like I hung there for a while after the instructor said "GO!" and then I just pushed off the plane, and I remember being totally disoriented and saying out loud "ugh, ugh" and then the next thing that I remember is flying through the clouds, and looking up at this beautiful, yellow canopy that was above me. Because I was flying through the clouds, I couldn't see anything below me, so, for a second I didn't realize what happened, I thought that I was on the ground, or I thought that something went wrong, because I couldn't see anything, but then all of the clouds cleared away, and I could see the ground, WAY down there below me, and I could see miles and miles around, it was so beautiful, words can't even do it justice. When I realized that I was actually in the air, I FREAKED out, because humans aren't really supposed to be thousands of feet in the air and I remember I said "oh my god, oh my god oh my god" a couple of times, and I kept on looking up at the canopy, just to make sure that it was open, and then after a while I relaxed and then I started screaming at the top of my lungs "WAAAAA HOOOOO" I just remember that I didn't feel a falling sensation, when I was up there. You don't feel as if you're falling, you just feel like your just hanging there, and it's completely silent. So then, I heard the radio for the first time, and I heard the voice on the radio say "number three, you're doing just fine, practice some turns and we'll be with you in a little bit" so I took the little toggle things in my hand, and turned a couple of times. It was phenomenal. And then, all I can remember was following the voice on the radio, saying "okay, turn left; keep on turning keep on turning, there you go" and I kept on turning until he said stop. By that time, it was ready for the final descent, and I could see the airport down below me, and it was time for the final stretch, and I can remember seeing the ground come flying towards me, and pulling the toggles both at the same time, and landing with both of my feet on the ground. OH MY GOD, I'm on the ground. The guy that was at the landing site asked me "Why were you screaming, were you screaming because you were excited or because you were afraid?" and I said "No, I was screaming because I was having so much fun!" Then we walked, with the parachute, over to the hangar, and that was it. I took the gear off, and that was it. I just got a rush of adrenaline just typing this, so you could imagine what it would be like to actually experience that. This is the first time that I've ever really wrote about this in depth, and it really has affected my life in numerous ways. BWAH! I think that it's really funny that at the beginning of the journal entry I said "oh, there's not a lot for me to report today" and here I am, writing another damm novel. That's another thing that I want to accomplish, I want to start writing a book, I'm not sure what I want to write about yet, but I want to start writing, and I hope that it'll come to me soon! Okay, I am just going to send this NOW! If there's anything else I can add to this journal, I'll add it on later, at home or something, but this is getting out of control!

Comments

Popular Posts