2 days and counting till the George and Mindy show arrive

Good Morning Libra! It's a good time to try to come up with some new plans and ideas about how to improve your professional prospects right now. Then, decide what is no longer of any use to you at work and toss it out in favor of something new. Don't be afraid to bring a positive new approach to work today.

I am just going to say this, and maybe it's because I am more sensitive to this issue, but whatever. At work, there is a woman in Dallas who's son in law was struck by lighting and was promptly killed. He was like 18 or something. So this happened about two weeks ago, and there was an email that went around discussing visitation and services and all of that. I got the email, and was hearbroken, as I'm sure everyone was. So there's an employee here who asked me if the Kansas City office was going to take up a collection for her, and I said that I didn't know anything about it, but if he wanted, I could send out an email and ask everyone in KC to contribute, as the woman didn't have any insurance for the boys funeral expenses. So here I am writing this email, to every single Data Management employee. I've only done this once before, and that occasion was sort of funny, but I want to tie it all in somehow. The last time I had to email all the permenent employees in my department (there are about 160 in KC) there were boxes delivered to my desk for everyone...they were free gifts for everyone. So I sent out the email saying "there is a free gift for every employee....come to my desk at your convienence and pick them up". Seriously....not two minutes after I sent that email, there were fourteen people at my desk asking me "where's the free stuff?" I'm not even exaggerating. Thank god I sent that out late in the day, because all the employees picked up their gift, and it was sort of amusing. I likened them to vultures. So my POINT in telling you this story is that, when I sent out this most recent email to all the employees (both permanent AND contractor's....67 contractors + 160 permanent) about the funeral expenses, what do you think happened? Of course, nothing. I have not received ONE fucking response to that email. It just gives me a big ol bad taste in my mouth, and I realize that it's not MY fault, I just...I don't even want to think about it, but I for sure, am going to contribute, even though I have a new car to buy, and a $500 deposit for our Europe trip that's late already. This is not really related, but I was watching public television last night, and saw this amazing show on Dying, called "On Our Own Terms: Moyers on Dying", with Bill Moyers. Astounding series. It was discussing how people prepare, and then again don't prepare for the whole process of dying, and how people are now really paying attention to the process.

Journalist Bill Moyers presents the intimate, end-of-life journeys of more than a dozen individuals, as they and their families struggle to balance medical intervention with comfort and dignity as they face death, in the four-part series.

I was just sitting there in stunned silence, watching this episode last night, because we just went through this whole process with Richard's mother, and it just hit way to close to home. I have yet to write anything about that. I think it's just too soon, but I plan on writing about it, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts