The Laramie Project

So, there is so much that happened yesterday, I don't know where to begin. The main thing was that I saw the Laramie Project, and Fred Phelps was there with all of his pregnant women, with signs that said "God Hates Fags" and "AIDS is God's wrath" and all of that bullshit. I know that I've seen him and his idiots before, but I've never personally seen them with my own eyes, and to tell you the truth, it's shocking. It is shocking to me that people with their own mind, who have the ability to think rational thoughts, would choose to hate so freely, and so outwardly. It still amazes me. One of the best thing that we did was that we made our own signs that said "God loves everyone" and "Phelps is Hate" and the such. So, we were across the street from them, and people were honking their horns at them, and giving them the finger, it was great. I thought the best part of it was that the theater people had more supporters than they did, we totally outnumbered them. So, as they were leaving (they only picketed a couple of hours, and when the clock was at 8:00 we noticed them leaving), I ran across the street, and they were putting their signs in the back of their big truck, they closed the door, and they were all getting in the side of the truck I threw my sign that said "Phelps is Hate" in the passenger side of their van and said "Oh here, you might want my sign too!" and the guy said "watch it asshole" and I ran back across the street. I know the sign got in the van, but what they did with it afterwards, I don't know we just went in the theatre and watched the play.

So now, to that. Yeah, I can say that the play was unbelieveable, that it touched me mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, and that it probably was the most amazing thing that I've seen in a long time, but these are just words, and they do not do justice to what the experience was. I was sort of hestitant to even write about it, because it sounds so inadequate, but it was a unreal experience. The play is not even about the actual hate crime, I mean it IS, but it doesn't dwell on that, it's just a series of monologues from the people in the town, the bartender of the bar where Matthew Shepard was last seen, some of the towns' people, but the way that they present it is simply stunning. RUN and see it if you can.

I just hope that people who haven't been touched by this idea, or by this experience of Matthew Shepard being killed, will go to this play, and just learn about it. That's all you can really ask people to do, is to learn about something and make their own minds about it. That's what I've learned about people (am i being redundant here?), is that you can't tell people what to believe, you can give them information, and they'll choose to believe it or not. It's like those Phelps people. Their information is that gay people are evil, and that their god is going to strike down on gay people and put them to hell. People who are not so ignorant know that things like that just don't happen. There is no man in the sky that is keeping track of what we do and what we don't do. Now I'm going on my own personal ideology, but it's just true, or at least, it's my own personal truth. So anyway, enough ranting about that. I was just ranting about Junior...with Leila...but that's okay. I had the meeting with the woman from the hope cares center last night and it was fabulous. We set a date for september 26th at 6:30 for the performance! WOO HOO FOR ME!

Comments

Popular Posts